Monday, June 16, 2008

Those Raindrops Keep Fallin' In My Head...

Since the past week or so, all calls/msgs frm my friends in Bombay have invariably been interspered w/ phrases like "it's been pouring non-stop for the past n days" "it's raining like crazy", "it's raining cats n dogs"...leaving me all green w/ envy! I miss those crazy unforgiving Bombay rains! Now Bangalore weather is all fine...it's cool comfortable n pleasant. But I miss the madness...the sheer downpour...the deafening din of rain lashing against windows, walls, trees...patiently...incessantly.

I esp miss the beach...it was so teasingly close...just a 5 min walk frm my place. N during heavy rains, I'd sometimes walk upto it n watch the sea raging, tossing n turning in all its glorious fury. But I must admit it's a scary sight. Usually the sea is very inviting...even when she sends huge waves at u. But during the monsoon, she's a totally different creature...all grey, opaque, choppy...foaming! But it'd somehow still be beautiful...a bit like staring at a snarling tigress! Lethally beautiful!

The best part wld be the crazy wind...so totally out of its mind! On which the rain wld hitch a ride n come lashing crashing onto ur face...ur back...it wld literally bite n u cld feel those teeth digging into u. But weirdly enough, it left u smiling...stupidly, at those furious clawing raindrops...n the sea, raging beyond! Sometimes when I'd feel braver -- read foolish -- than usual, I'd go stand right at the mouth of this storm-water drain, which emptied into the sea...n be confronted w/ this tantalizing spray frm the waves crashing onto those black boulders. One cldnt help wishing to magically metamorphose into a sea-gull...cackling away w/ pleasure...teasing even more, the irate sea goddess...

Bollywood has a weird fascination for the rains -- n for some very obvious reasons, of which I wont bore u w/. The result being that most things associated w/ that heavenly downpour have been cliched to death...none more so than walking on Marine Drive, hand in hand w/ gigantic waves crashing over u. Be that as it may, it certainly feels wonderful...sitting there on the wall...clothes clinging to ur soaking skin...rivulets of rain running down ur face...ur lips...the tongue involuntarily making a grab at raindrops...u sit there, watching raindrops on ivory arms...shivering slightly, u instinctively tend to huddle closer...n can literally feel the heat flowing wherever the bodies touch...it's such a delicious feeling...so very sensuous. N yet watching that gigantic sea roaring in front of u kinda makes u feel very vulnerable n fragile...as if it cld wreck everything...bringing it all down in a single...decisive...crash...

14 comments:

Prithi Shetty said...

oh yes first even i missed the non-stop pouring rains of maharashtra. alag hi beauty hain. but now i feel Bangalore rains are just fine. does not affect work life. rains timings and quantity are just so our work commute is not affected.

Priyu said...

That was so descriptive.Wow i can just feel it.Coming from Gods own country i know the Rains,THE MONSOONS i miss it!!! i cry everytime my sis calls up and says "priyu its pouring out here".I do agree the climate out in Blore's cool and stuff but then The seasons ought to be felt ... guess every bit of it :)
I totally agree with u MOON :) on that aspect....

Unknown said...

Priyu

I second you...I guess Bangalore is blessed with a wonderful weather, but yes I also agree that last couple of yrs we have seen bad seasons...but now..today the weather you feel is the actual weather...this is a true loyal Bangalorean comment....

moonstruckmoth said...

Prithi, Priyu n Geetha...thanks all of u for dropping in. N I absolutely totally agree w/ all u ladies that the weather in Bangalore is splendid...no doubt abt it...

But Prithi, I love the Bombay rains not just for its beauty, but also because it's so chaotic...n unpredictable...n I can always use another excuse for skipping work ;-)

Priyu, I so love the Kerala backwaters...that lush greenery, those happy swaying palms n those li'l boats snaking thru rivers whose banks r smtimes actual doorsteps! I wld love to visit God's -- n Your -- own country atleast once before my final rendezvous w/ God! ;-)
N I can totally identify w/ how u feel when ur sister calls...it's so frustrating to not be there...in that drenching downpour...

N Geetha, I certainly hope the spell of good weather in Bangalore lasts forever...I've been in Bangalore for just a few months, but I've come to love it already...

Anonymous said...

Although I haven't been someone frequenting Marine Drive during the rains, your beautiful description has conjured up a neat image. Been to the end of Marine Drive last Independence Day with a friend, but the rains were a bit depleted by then.

Thanks for reviving the memories. I just can't wait to get back home. 13 more days to go....

esprit libre (Srividya Srinivasan) said...

Do romantics exist any more? thought they vanished a century back :-) and thanks for the feedback on my blog!

moonstruckmoth said...

Rodders: U have 13 days to go, I have no idea when I'll be able to go to Bombay next...pl say hello to the sea on my behalf! N of course to "Varsha"

Srividya: It's actually a disease...but one that will kill me if cured of it :)
Prolly most ppl frm this century have developed immunity towards it!
N thanks for dropping in...

esprit libre (Srividya Srinivasan) said...

lol. You can't be you just can't be into software!! No way!!!

moonstruckmoth said...

U're right Srividya...software is just a front...to take the heat off me...m more into extortion...a bit of gun-running on the side...I'm trying to diversify into booth-capturing, but it's terribly tough to make inroads into the UP/Bihar market, which is where all the moolah is really...

Right now learning to ride a horse...want to graduate to Chambal...n once I'm notorious enough, I have political ambitions too ;-)

I already have a milky white khadi kurta n Gandhi topi...n I practice the snivelling ingratiating expression every morning in front of the mirror...
It's early days tho'...

Dilli bahut door hai!

esprit libre (Srividya Srinivasan) said...

Hey let me know what you think of my latest post :-) btw you can mail directly at vidhoos@gmail.com
Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Nice writing Raj.. I found every writing I read interesting.

yes, it would have been good if we had a beach close to bangalore too. I really liked the juhu beach, however I hated the rains, when last time it poured heavily in mumbai and it was difficult to navigate through the roads..

moonstruckmoth said...

Thanks again Nishanth...

I really wish we had a beach here in Bangalore...but then the weather here wldnt've been so pleasant...

I guess we cant have all our wishes come true ;-)

BTW, one does not navigate the Bombay roads in the monsoon, u wade thru them...n if u're really lucky, row thru them ;-)

song of a crow said...

i don't like your blog at all!

song of a crow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.